Corporation Oaks was officially opened by a tree planting on 11 February 1850. This was attended by members of the Town Council, the Town Clerk and the Clerk to the Justices.
After the ceremony, the group walked down to St Anne’s Well Road and, because it was a rainy day, then took cabs to the George IV where they had an evening of ‘unalloyed enjoyment’.
On 9 April 1857 the Enclosure Committee reported to the Council that it believed
‘… that some of the large Guns and trophies taken from Russia in the late War might be obtained on application to Her Majesty’s Government recommend that such application be made and that the Guns and trophies if obtained be placed in the Arboretum and be under the care of this Council.’ (NA CA 3616)
The development of Nottingham Arboretum and the other green spaces only became possible with the passing of the Nottingham Enclosure Act in 1845, which allowed for the enclosure of 1069 acres.
The Enclosure Commissioners were given responsibility for building and widening roads, constructing drains, sewers and bridges, but they also became responsible for the establishment and future maintenance of public walks, ga