From Anglo-Saxon to late 19th/20th Century – the church of St Wilfrid’s in Barrow-upon-Trent seems to have a little bit of everything within its building and its history.
Add to that, the two ‘Black Death’ pits found in the churchyard, and it becomes obvious why Barrow upon Trent Parish History Research Group were keen to have an historical building assessment carried out on their church.
Straight out of the army, Reg Dixon was still a young man when he started working for Raleigh. The work was often hard and “the gaffers” really strict. But Reg remembers his time there with great pride and affection. He recalls the comradeship and the huge sadness felt by everyone when it finally closed – “it’s family. They made it into a family place."
The development of Nottingham Arboretum and the other green spaces only became possible with the passing of the Nottingham Enclosure Act in 1845, which allowed for the enclosure of 1069 acres.
The Enclosure Commissioners were given responsibility for building and widening roads, constructing drains, sewers and bridges, but they also became responsible for the establishment and future maintenance of public walks, gardens, and recreation grounds.