Corporation Oaks was officially opened by a tree planting on 11 February 1850. This was attended by members of the Town Council, the Town Clerk and the Clerk to the Justices.
After the ceremony, the group walked down to St Anne’s Well Road and, because it was a rainy day, then took cabs to the George IV where they had an evening of ‘unalloyed enjoyment’.
On 9 April 1857 the Enclosure Committee reported to the Council that it believed
‘… that some of the large Guns and trophies taken from Russia in the late War might be obtained on application to Her Majesty’s Government recommend that such application be made and that the Guns and trophies if obtained be placed in the Arboretum and be under the care of this Council.’ (NA CA 3616)
Cyril Flowers started work at Carey's as a threading boy in 1929 at 14 years. He was paid 7s/6d (37 1/2 pence) per week, and an extra 6d (2 1/2 pence) for 3 hours on a Saturday.
“There were 46 machines some capable of producing lace 360 inches wide. Some machines had 3,000 bobbins or shuttle that needed threading. When Carey’s closed down in 1956, Cyril was the last man to be paid off and given £25 extra and a f
From Anglo-Saxon to late 19th/20th Century – the church of St Wilfrid’s in Barrow-upon-Trent seems to have a little bit of everything within its building and its history.
Add to that, the two ‘Black Death’ pits found in the churchyard, and it becomes obvious why Barrow upon Trent Parish History Research Group were keen to have an historical building assessment carried out on their church.
Straight out of the army, Reg Dixon was still a young man when he started working for Raleigh. The work was often hard and “the gaffers” really strict. But Reg remembers his time there with great pride and affection. He recalls the comradeship and the huge sadness felt by everyone when it finally closed – “it’s family. They made it into a family place."
The development of Nottingham Arboretum and the other green spaces only became possible with the passing of the Nottingham Enclosure Act in 1845, which allowed for the enclosure of 1069 acres.
The Enclosure Commissioners were given responsibility for building and widening roads, constructing drains, sewers and bridges, but they also became responsible for the establishment and future maintenance of public walks, ga